Thursday, May 7, 2015

A strange plant near the Canyon

I discovered today that I have taken 18,000 photographs in the last 6 weeks. All of plants and flowers in Travis county. This is one of the weird ones I have discovered, and this one was just outside Madrone canyon, across Bee Caves on Cuernavaca.

Rhynchospora colorata. It has bicolored bracts and the flower is actually the small bit in the center. The stem look and feels MUCH more like a grass than a sedge. I really had a jaw dropping moment when I first found it. these were about an inch and a half across and in a lawn at just the height of the grass. They were hard to see unless you were right upon them.





I also wanted to thank everyone for the great work put in on the May 2nd workday. We got a lot of stuff out of the canyon and got the roadside cleaned up.

No comments:

Post a Comment